7 July 2009

Driving in Britain

This is a common question that I get asked - "How do you get used to driving in England?" And the answer is, "You just do." When you first arrive, you'll be required to take a British driving course on base. You'll take the course and a test, and that'll be about it. The rest is up to you. Most people begin testing their driving skills on base first. I think that's the best way to start. That's what I did. I slowly drove around base until I (sort of) got the hang of it. Yes, driving on the wrong side of the road (and depending on your car, the wrong side of the car) is scary at first, and every instinct you have tells you to look the opposite way of the way you should be looking, but I promise that the more you do it, the better you'll get. And after you've been here a while and then travel to France or Germany, driving on the "right" side of the road will seem very weird to you. It's all just a matter of giving it time. And, eventually, you'll get the hang of it and you won't think twice about it. In the meantime, I've found several websites that I think will be useful to those of you about to move here.

Oh, and roundabouts are not as scary as they look, I promise. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Quick Find

Disclaimer

This blog is OPSEC compliant. Posting of sensitive or critical information is strictly forbidden.
Comments that violate OPSEC will be deleted immediately.